|Chocolate Pudding Shortbread Bars|
for the shortbread-
-1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature and cubed
-1/2 cup granulated sugar
-2 cups all-purpose flour
-1 tsp kosher salt
for the pudding-
-1 cup heavy cream
-1 1/4 cups chocolate chips
-2 tbsp granulated sugar
-2 eggs, room temperature
-1 tsp vanilla extract
-sea salt, for sprinkling
1. Preheat oven to 375F. To make the shortbread, line a 9 x 13 inch pan with foil and spray with cooking spray. Beat butter until smooth (3 minutes), then add sugar, beating until fluffy (additional 3 minutes). Add the salt and flour, 1/2 cup at a time, until dough is well-mixed and coming together.
2. Press the shortbread dough into the prepared pan, using your hands to make it an even layer. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until set and lightly golden. Allow to cool for 10-15 minutes on a cooling rack.
3. While shortbread is cooling, make the pudding. Heat the cream until simmering in a medium sized pot over medium high heat. Reduce heat to medium low and stir in the chocolate, stirring constantly until chocolate is melted.
4. Remove the pudding from the heat and whisk in sugar, eggs, and vanilla. Return the pot to the heat for 5 minutes, whisking constantly, until mixture begins to thicken. Allow to cool for 5 minutes before pouring into cooled shortbread crust.
5. Cover and refrigerate pan until pudding is set, at least 2 hours. Before serving, sprinkle with sea salt and cut into squares, using a clean knife and wiping knife between each cut (for cleaner cuts). Store in fridge in a covered container for 3-4 days.