|Blue Cheese Stuffed Burgers with Caramelized Onion Jam|
for the burgers-
-3 lbs ground beef
-6 oz blue cheese
-salt and pepper
-1/3 cup cooked and crumbled bacon
for the jam-
-1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
-3 large sweet onions, diced
-2 bay leaves
-3 rosemary sprigs
-1 cup sugar
-3/4 cup balsamic vinegar
for the burger toppings-
-9 hamburger buns (we recommend pretzel buns!)
-spinach or arugula
1. To make the jam, heat the olive oil in a large pan until shimmering. Add the onions and cook over moderately high heat, stirring occasionally, until golden brown (about 15 minutes).
2. Tie the bay leaves and rosemary sprigs together with kitchen twine. Add the herbs to the onions and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes or until fragrant. Top the onions with the sugar and cook, without stirring, until the sugar melts (5 minutes).
3. Increase the heat to high and cook, still without stirring, until an amber-brown caramel forms, about 6 minutes. Stir in the balsamic vinegar and simmer over low heat, stirring occasionally, until the jam has thickened (15-20 minutes). Discard the herb bundle, season the jam with salt, and allow to cool to warm.
*if makes ahead of time, cover and refrigerate. Reheat or bring to room temperature before serving
4. To make the burgers, mix the bacon with the ground beef. Form the beef into 9 equal pieces. Separate each piece into two equal sized pieces, which are slightly flattened into a patty shape. Create an indenture in one of the pieces and fill with a tablespoon or two of blue cheese. Top with other piece and press edges together to seal. Season the outside of each patty liberally with salt and pepper.
5. Grill burgers over high heat until desired doneness. Serve on buns topped with caramelized onion jam and arugula or spinach.