Peanut Butter and Fudge Brownies with Salted Peanuts
from Bon Appetit January 2007
for the brownies-
-1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter
-7 ounces bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, chopped (I used a mix of both)
-3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
-1 1/2 cups sugar
-1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
-1/4 tsp salt
-4 large eggs
-1 cup all-purpose flour
-1 cup roasted salted peanuts, coarsely chopped
for the frosting and ganache-
-1 cup chunky peanut butter
-1 stick unsalted butter, divided and at room temperature
-3/4 cup powdered sugar
-1/8 tsp salt
-1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
-1 tbsp milk
-1 tsp vanilla extract
-7 ounces bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, chopped
1. Preheat oven to 325F. Line a 9 x 13 inch pan with foil and grease foil. Set aside.
2. Add 1 1/2 sticks butter plus both chocolates to a large saucepan and stir over low heat until melted and smooth. Remove from heat. Whisk in sugar, vanilla, and salt. Whisk in eggs, one at a time. Fold in flour and peanuts.
3. Pour batter in prepared pan. Bake for 30 minutes, until an inserted toothpick comes out with a few moist crumbs. Place pan on a rack to cool.
4. Beat peanut butter with 1/4 cup butter in a medium bowl. Add powdered sugar, salt, nutmeg, milk, and vanilla. Beat until smooth. Spread frosting over brownies.
5. Heat remaining 1/4 cup butter and chocolate in a small saucepan over low heat, stirring until smooth. Spread ganache over frosting. Refrigerate brownies for at least 1 1/2 hours, until set. Brownies should be covered and refrigerated until ready to serve.