Two Years Ago: Feta and Sundried Tomato Torta
Three Years Ago: Spinach and Black Bean Pasta
from Food and Wine January 2013
for the crumb topping-
-1 stick unsalted butter, cubed and chilled
-1/4 cup + 2 tbsp sugar
-1 cup all-purpose flour
-1/2 tsp baking soda
-scant 1/2 tsp salt
for the coffee cake-
-1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter
-2 cups all-purpose flour
-1 1/2 tsp baking powder
-1/4 tsp baking soda
-1/2 tsp salt
-scant 1/2 tsp grated nutmeg
-1 cup sugar
-2 large eggs
-1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
-1/2 cup sour cream
1. To make the crumb topping, place all topping ingredients in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until small crumbs form. Transfer to a plate and press into 1/2-inch clumps. Place in fridge, until firm, at least 15 minutes.
2. To make the cake, melt the butter in a saucepan over moderate heat until solids begin to brown and smell nutty (about 5 minutes once butter has melted). Immediately scrape butter and solids into a shallow bowl and freeze until firm, but not hard (20-25 minutes).
3. Preheat oven to 350F and grease a 9-inch springform pan with cooking spray. Line with parchment paper and set aside.
4. In a medium-sized bowl, whisk the flour with baking powder, baking soda, salt, and nutmeg. Set aside. Scrape butter into the bowl of an electric mixer and beat with sugar for 5 minutes, until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs and vanilla, beating until smooth.
5. Alternate between adding the sour cream and the dry ingredients, scraping the bowl occasionally. Pour batter into prepared pan and top with crumbs. Bake in center of oven for 45 minutes, until the cake is golden and an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cook before removing sides of springform, peeling off parchment paper, and transferring to a plate. Cut into slices and serve.
*Cake cake be stored at room temperature, wrapped tightly in plastic wrap