Grilled Steak and Vegetable Salad with Chipotle Chimichurri Dressing
from Sunset Magazine, September 2012
for the dressing-
-1 1/4 cups loosely packed flat-leaf parsley sprigs
-1 1/4 cups loosely packed cilantro sprigs
-2 garlic cloves
-1 jalapeño chile, seeded
-1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
-1/3 cup vegetable oil
-1/3 cup lime juice
-1 1/4 tsp kosher salt
-2 medium canned chipotle chiles, finely chopped
for the salad-
-1 flank steak (1 1/4 to 1 1/2 lbs)
-3 zucchini, sliced lengthwise 1/4 inch thick
-1 tbsp olive oil
-about 1 tsp kosher salt
-about 1 tsp pepper
-2 medium red bell peppers
-2 heads romain lettuce, cut crosswise into 1-inch ribbons
-1 firm-ripe avocado, sliced
-6 radishes, thinly sliced
1. To make the dressing, combine all ingredients in the bowl of a food processor with the exception of the chipotle chiles. Pulse until minced. Transfer to a small bowl and stir in chipotles.
2. Rub steak and zucchini with oil, then sprinkle with 1 tsp each salt and pepper. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes while grill preheats on high.
3. Grill steak, turning once, 6-8 minutes for medium rare or a few minutes longer for medium. Transfer to a board and allow to rest for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, grill zucchini and bell peppers, turning occasionally, until grill marks appear on zucchini.
4. Allow peppers and zucchini to cool slightly before slicing. Slice steak diagonally across the grain into thin strips, then cut pieces in half.
5. Divide lettuce among plates. Top with zucchini, peppers, radishes, and steak. Drizzle with chimichurri.