dough balls that I had stored in the freezer and all we had to do the next day was roll out the doll, add the filling & cheese, bake, and heat up the tomato sauce. LOVE easy meals (this one was particularly easy thanks to Ryan actually putting it all together :)).
One note of caution--our calzones really stuck to our cookie sheet, which was unusual because nothing's ever stuck before. Next time, we'll definitely spray the cookie sheet or use our pizza stone to bake these.
Ingredients (for 2 large calzones):
-1 dough ball from the homemade whole wheat pizza dough batch (could also use store bought dough)
-1/2 package frozen spinach
-1/2 can chopped artichoke hearts
-1/2 cup ricotta cheese
-garlic salt & pepper (to taste)
-mozzarella cheese (to taste)
-pizza or tomato sauce
1. Mix the spinach, artichokes, and ricotta cheese in a small bowl until well combined. Season with garlic salt and pepper.
2. Roll out the pizza dough and cut into two rectangles.
3. Spread half of the filling onto half of each rectangle. Sprinkle desired amount of mozzarella on top.
4. Fold each rectangle in half and shape into crescents, pinching the edges to seal.
5. Bake at 375 degrees for 15 minutes.
6. If preferred, season tomato sauce with oregano, basil, and garlic salt. Heat in a microwave or over the stove.
7. Serve calzones with heated sauce.
If you're a spinach & artichoke fan, you will love these! It was like eating a healthier version of the infamous dip. Plus, anything in calzone form in fun to eat...I can't wait to make some other fillings for these!