(as always, ignore the terrible quality of the above photo :-\)
I emailed this recipe to myself a long time ago by copying and pasting it, but I didn't cite the reference. However, a little google search proved that this is apparently a pretty common recipe. I've been looking for an excuse to make it for several people so that I wouldn't wind up eating the entire pan of it (I'm powerless around creamy desserts like this one!) and decided it would be perfect for our Wednesday night community group.
The nice thing about this recipe is that it's completely no-bake...a good option when you don't feel like turning on your oven. Of course, soon I'll be using the oven like mad to help heat our house, but that's a story for another day...! I made this Tuesday night, refrigerated overnight, and it was good to go Wednesday evening! Our group made a pretty good dent in it, but there's still far too much of it tempting me from the fridge :)
1 package oreo cookies, crushed
6 tablespoons margarine, melted
1 package cream cheese, softened (I used 1/3 less fat)
1/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons milk
1 tub cool whip, thawed (I used light)
3 1/4 cups cold milk (I used skim)
2 packages instant jell-o pudding, chocolate flavored
1. Mix crushed cookies and butter in a medium bowl (set aside some crushed cookies for topping, if desired).
2. Press firmly onto the bottom of a 9 x 13 pan. Refrigerate for 10 minutes.
3. Beat cream cheese, sugar, and 2 tablespoons milk in a medium bowl with a wire whisk until blended. Stir in 1 1/4 cups cool whip.
4. Remove crust from the fridge and spread the cream cheese mixture over it, using a spatula to spread it evenly.
5. Pour 3 1/4 cups of milk into a bowl. Add pudding mixes. Beat with a wire whisk for 2 minutes.
6. Pour the pudding over the cream cheese layer and allow to stand for 5 minutes.
7. Drop remaining cool whip over the pudding and spread. Sprinkle with crushed oreos (or chocolate chips, etc).
8. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours. Cut into slices and serve!