This is another one of my mom's recipes that is without a doubt a family favorite. Even non-oatmeal lovers have converted after trying this baked version! I love making this because you can make it ahead of time and keep it in the fridge until you're ready to bake. That's exactly what I did this weekend...woke up & prepared the oatmeal, then stuck it in the fridge and headed to the gym. When Ryan woke up, he added pecans & brown sugar and put it in the oven. Right as I got home, he was taking it out and warming up some milk. Now that's teamwork :)
This is such a warm, filling breakfast and the leftovers reheat wonderfully. I recommend making this soon!!
-1/2 cup margarine, melted (I only had 1/4 cup of margarine so I added 1/2 cup applesauce and it turned out fine!)
-1/2 cup brown sugar
-1 cup milk
-3 cups oatmeal
-1 tsp baking powder
-1/2 tsp salt
-1 large apple, chopped (preferably green, but I used a jonathan and it was still good)
-cinnamon, to taste
-chopped pecans & brown sugar, to taste
1. Beat margarine, brown sugar, and eggs until fluffy.
2. Add milk, oatmeal, baking powder, and salt. Mix.
3. Stir in apple and cinnamon.
4. Pour into a greased round casserole dish.
5. Top with chopped pecans & brown sugar.
6. Bake for 30-45 minutes at 350 degrees.
7. Serve in bowls with warmed milk.