Along with the chicken sandwich I blogged the other day, I also made these hot ham and cheese sandwiches. These are another staple when my mom is hosting parties. I love making these because you can do all the work a day (or more) ahead of time and then heat just before serving. I love the ham/muenster cheese combination here, but you can always switch it up according to your tastes. I've used swiss cheese, turkey, etc etc and they've always turned out delicious! Unfortunately I was busy being a host when we took these out of the oven and I forgot to snap a picture of the finished product--I'll be sure to take a picture of them next time :)
Hot Ham & Cheese Sandwiches
Ingredients: (omitting quantities here, just adjust according to your needs)
-Sliced Deli Ham
-Sliced Muenster Cheese
-1 stick butter, softened
-1 tsp dried mustard
-1 tsp poppy seeds
1. Mix butter, dried mustard, and poppy seeds in a small bowl until soft, creamy, and well combined.
2. Slice rolls in half. Spread a layer of the butter mixture on half the roll.
3. Place ham and cheese on top of butter. Put the top half of the roll back on the sandwich.
4. Wrap sandwich in aluminum foil, making sure that the sandwich is not exposed on any side.
(my bag of foil sandwiches, ready for the oven...and no, I did not put the plastic bag in the oven!)
5. Bake sandwiches in a 350 degree oven for 20-30 minutes. (The foil sandwiches can be placed directly on the oven rack)
6. Remove sandwiches and allow to cool for 5-10 minutes. Unwrap from foil and dig in!