I originally was making this salad to bring to my monthly "girls dinner" with my 2 besties from work, Paige & Ashley. However, at last minute, we had to cancel :( However, I'd already prepared the salad the night before, so Ryan and I chowed down on it! This was definitely an interesting salad--I used spinach instead of the arugula it called for and I wonder if that would have varied the taste at all. I liked this, but I didn't love it. Don't hesitate to try it if these flavors appeal to you, I'd be anxious to hear other people's opinions!
Citrus Cranberry Salad
from Better Homes & Gardens' Website
(I halved because the original served 8. The original is below)
-2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries, thawed
-2 stalks celery, thinly sliced (1 cup)
-1/2 small red onion, finely chopped (1/3 cup)
-1/4 cup sugar
-2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
-1 tsp grated fresh ginger (I used dried)
-1 5 oz. package baby arugula (I used spinach)
-1/4 cup fresh mint leaves, chopped
-2 tbsp walnut or olive oil
1. Using a food processor (or by hand), coarsely chop cranberries. Transfer to bowl.
2. Peel oranges. Section oranges over bowl to catch juice. Add sections and juice to cranberries.
3. Stir in celery, onion, sugar, lemon juice, and ginger.
4. Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour or up to 2 days (I refrigerated for 24 hrs)
5. Toss arugula with mint and oil. Top with cranberry mixture.