Have I mentioned how much I love Chobani greek yogurt? Because I really do! In fact, I managed to eat it in TWO of my meals yesterday. For lunch I had the vanilla flavored with some granola mixed in, and then we used the 2 containers of plain (non-fat & low-fat) in last night's dinner.
Unfortunately, we were really rushed putting this dinner together and didn't have time to let the chicken marinate as long as it was supposed to. If I made these again, I would definitely marinate the chicken for several hours to achieve maximum flavor. Even with our super quick marination, these chicken gyros turned out awesome! Ryan and I love to go to this hole-in-the-wall Greek place near our house that serves huge, greasy gyros. However, I always finish that meal with a bit of a stomachache and an inability to eat for the rest of the day. That was not the case with these, which were significantly lighter than your typical gyro.
adapted from Annie's Eats
For the chicken-
-4 cloves garlic, smashed
-juice of 1 lemon (we just used some bottled lemon juice)
-2 tsp. red wine vinegar
-2 tbsp olive oil
-2 heaping tbsp plain greek yogurt (Chobani!)
-1 tbsp dried oregano
-salt & pepper
-3 chicken breasts
-1 batch of tzatziki sauce (recipe below)
-red onion, sliced thin
-fresh tomatoes, seeded & diced
1. Slice chicken into small pieces.
2. Combine above ingredients and mix well. Add chicken to the marinade and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
3. Cook chicken on a skillet until cooked through.
4. Add chicken to pitas, along with red onion, tomatoes, and tzatziki sauce. Eat immediately!
adapted from Food Network
-16 oz. plain greek yogurt (I used 12 oz. and it was plenty!)
-1 medium cucumber, seeded, peeled, and finely chopped
-4 cloves garlic, finely minced
-pinch of kosher salt
-2 tsp red wine vinegar
-1 tbsp olive oil
-5-6 mint leaves, finely minced
1. Squeeze the cucumber in a paper towel to remove excess moisture.
2. Combine above ingredients and mix well. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour to allow flavors to blend.
3. Serve on gyros and store in an airtight container.
If you haven't already, leave a comment on this post for a chance to win some free Chobani Greek Yogurt!