While these are a little time-consuming to make, with all of the rolling and the twisting, they're worth it. If you're still looking for a last minute Christmas cookie, make these!! I think I might start making these year round and just eliminate the food coloring and shape them into snakes or twists ;)
Candy Cane Cookies
recipe from my friend Anna
**makes about 30 cookies
-1 cup butter
-1 cup powdered sugar
-1 1/2 teaspoons almond extract
-1 teaspoon vanilla extract
-2 1/2 cups flour
-1/2 teaspoon salt
-red food coloring
1. Mix the above ingredients with a stand or handheld mixer, except the red food coloring, until dough forms. Set dough aside.
2. Repeat step 1, adding red food coloring while mixing, until you have a pink dough.
3. Scoop an equal portion of dough from the plain and pink doughs. Roll each dough ball, separately, into logs until they are equal in height and length.
4. Press the two logs together and twist, forming into the shape of a candy cane.
5. Lay candy cane cookies on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake for 9-11 minutes at 375F.
This post is linked to Eat at Home.