Spinach Bacon Cheese Calzones
*makes 8-10 calzones
-2 batches pizza dough (fresh storebought is fine)
-1 (15 oz) container low-fat ricotta cheese
-1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella
-1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
-salt and pepper, to taste
-2 tsp garlic powder
-1/2 tbsp dried oregano
-1 (9 oz) bag fresh spinach, steamed and excess water pressed out
-10 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
-tomato sauce, for serving
1. In a large bowl, combine the cheeses, eggs, basil, garlic powder, and oregano. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in spinach and bacon, mixing to evenly combine.
2. Divide pizza dough into 8 or 10 equal pieces. On a floured surface, roll out a piece of dough into a thin circle. Top half of the circle with about 1/4-1/2 cup of the filling. Lift the plain (topping-less) half of the dough up over the filling, pressing to seal the edges and form a half moon shape. Be sure to seal well and not overfill to avoid spillage!
3. Repeat with remaining dough and filling. Using a knife, cut a few slits in the top of each filled calzone. If baking immediately, place on a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake at 450F for 25-35 minutes, until browned and cooked throughout.
4. If freezing, place on a baking sheet and freeze until firm. Once firm, wrap individually in plastic wrap and place in a ziploc freezer bag. Freeze until ready to use. When ready to bake, allow to thaw (you can also not thaw, but baking will take longer). Bake at 450F for 25-35 minutes.
5. Serve with heated tomato sauce.