for the frosting
-8 oz cream cheese, at room temperature
-1 stick butter, at room temperature
-3 tbsp pure maple syrup
-1 tsp vanilla extract
-2 cups confectioners' sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Line two 9-inch pans with parchment paper and grease well.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together buttermilk, oil, eggs, sugar, and applesauce, stirring until smooth. Sift dry ingredients into a separate bowl. Add dry ingredients to wet, stirring until combined.
3. Divide batter between pans and bake in center rack for 20-25 minutes, until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Allow cakes to cool in pans for 10 minutes before inverting onto wire cooling racks to cool completely. (Once cooled completely I stuck them in the freezer for about an hour to make frosting them easier)
4. To make the frosting, beat cream cheese and butter until smooth. Add maple syrup, vanilla, and confectioners' sugar and beat until smooth.
5. To assemble, place one cake layer on plate. Top with 1/2 cup frosting and spread evenly. Top with second cake layer and use remaining frosting to cover top and sides of cake. Decorate as desired.