|Caramel Corn with Peanuts|
Two Years Ago: Chocolate Chile Nuts & Apple Raisin Bars
Three Years Ago: Shredded Beef Sandwiches & Honey Wheat Sandwich Buns
Four Years Ago: Whole Grain Waffles & Homemade Sushi (Maki)
Caramel Corn with Peanuts (Homemade Cracker Jack)
slightly adapted from Brown Eyed Baker
-20 cups freshly popped popcorn (about 3/4 cup kernels)
-2 cups light brown sugar
-1/3 cup light corn syrup
-12 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
-1/4 cup water
-1/2 tsp salt
-4 tsp vanilla extract
-1 tsp baking soda
-2 cups lightly salted peanuts
1. Preheat the oven to 250F. Line two rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
2. Transfer the popped popcorn to a large bowl and set aside.
3. Whisk together brown sugar, corn syrup, butter, salt, and water in a medium-sized saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Allow to simmer, stirring frequently, until the mixture reaches 250F on a candy thermometer (about 10-15 minutes).
4. Remove mixture from heat and whisk in the vanilla and baking soda. Immediately pour the caramel mixture over the popcorn. With a rubber spatula, gently mix the caramel into the popcorn until coated. Stir in the peanuts. Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking sheets, spreading it out in an even layer.
5. Bake for 1 hour, stirring every 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack for 20 minutes. Gently break up the popcorn and serve immediately or store in an airtight container for up to 5 days.