(The original dish)
The menu description of the veggie pizza is as follows: roasted garlic, poblano peppers, mushrooms, spinach, parmesan, and goat cheese. We were convinced they forgot the poblano peppers, so we omitted them in our version as well. Our recreation was nearly as good as the original, considering we were working with minimal ingredients. Should I make it again (and I will!), I'll make more of an attempt to recreate their garlicky parmesan sauce that coated the pizzas. We didn't have parmesan and the condo lacked olive oil, but our version (which is what I'm posting below) was still a hit!
**These would be perfect paired with a salad for dinner, or cut into small wedges and served as part of an appetizer spread!
Portobello Pita Pizzas
inspired by Cafe Carumba's veggie pizza
-5-6 whole wheat pita breads
-1 head garlic, roasted
-1 package sliced portobello mushrooms
-4-6 oz. spreadable goat cheese
-1/2 large red onion, chopped
-red wine (for caramelizing the onions)
-1 bag baby spinach
1. Chop red onion and cook over stovetop in butter until sautéed. Add a little bit of red wine and allow onions and wine to cook until caramelized (30-40 minutes).
2. Brush pita breads with melted butter, rub roasted garlic over one side, and broil in the oven for 2-3 minutes, until lightly browned.
3. Saute spinach in a little butter over stovetop until wilted.
4. Saute portobello mushrooms in a separate skillet until warmed through.
5. Spread goat cheese onto pita breads. Top with mushrooms, caramelized red onions, and spinach. Bake at 350F for 5-10 minutes.
6. Slice and dig in!