I mentioned that Julia made dinner a few weeks ago, when she debuted the irish soda bread. Its partner in crime that evening was this very orange carrot soup! We actually ate this on a fairly warm evening and I would imagine it was our last soup supper until next winter (which we are not even allowing to enter our thoughts right now!!!). Still, it was a great way to end soup season ;) If carrots are one of your favorite vegetables, then this is the soup for you! The carrot flavor is primary, but it pairs nicely with the dill (fresh dill would've been even better). Rather than use the potatoes the original recipe called for, I suggested Julia add a can of black eyed peas. I think this was a perfect substitute--kept Julia far away from potatoes, as she prefers, and gave us all a little boost of iron and protein.
Thanks Julia for making din!!
adapted from Suite Apple Pie
-1 big yellow onion, chopped
-1 tbsp butter
-1 tbsp olive oil
-2 pounds medium carrots, peeled and chopped
-1 can black eyes peas, drained and rinsed
-4 cups chicken broth
-1 tsp salt
-1/4 tsp pepper
-1/2 tsp dried dill
-1/2 cup skim milk
1. Heat a large soup pot on the stove over medium high heat. Add the butter, oil, and onion, and saute. Cook until onion is tender and translucent.
2. Add the carrots and black eyed peas and cook for 20 minutes.
3. Add the chicken broth and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer for 30-40 minutes, until the carrots are soft.
4. Remove from heat and puree with an immersion blender to desired thickness.
5. Stir in the dill, salt & pepper, and milk. Warm over medium heat before serving.