We ate this warm over spinach the first night, and I ate the leftovers cold the next day. I liked the salad both ways, but the peanut flavor was surprisingly not as strong the next day. Usually flavors strengthen overnight but not this time...if I were preparing it to serve cold, I would probably add some extra peanut butter to boost the flavor.
This is great over spinach as well as plain, and I think it'd be equally delicious served in a wrap or with pita chips. Enjoy!
Thai Salad with Peanut Dressing
adapted from Eat Better America
-1 cup chicken broth
-1/2 cup bulgur
-1 bag frozen shelled edamame
-1 red pepper, seeded & cut into thin strips
-1 cup shredded carrot
-1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
-3 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
-1 recipe peanut dressing (below)
-fresh spinach, for serving
-1/3 cup water
-3 tbsp peanut butter
-2 tbsp soy sauce
-1 tsp sugar
-1/4 tsp ground ginger
-1/8 tsp crushed red pepper
-1 clove garlic, minced
1. In a medium saucepan, bring broth to a boil and add bulgur. Return pan to boiling, reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes (until most of the liquid is absorbed).
2. Prepare edamame according to package directions.
3. In a large bowl, mix cooked bulgur, edamame, pepper, carrot, red onion, and cilantro.
4. In a microwaveable bowl, mix all dressing ingredients. Microwave for 30 seconds. Stir and return to microwave for an additional 30 seconds. Stir and toss dressing with salad.
5. Serve immediately over spinach, or chill in the refrigerator and serve cold.