(not the most photogenic soup!)
I was intrigued by this recipe when I saw it and immediately put it on our weekly menu. I love soup and I love crockpot recipes, so this already had things going for it! Julia and Lucy, her friend who visited last week, were actually the ones who put this soup together, I only had to do the final step with the immersion blender!
This is definitely an interesting soup. I liked it the best out of the four of us (me, Ryan, Julia, and Lucy). Ryan and Julia couldn't finish their bowls because of its spiciness, and I'm pretty sure Lucy only finished hers to be nice ;) The flavor itself was good, just really really spicy! The original recipe is below, but I suggest using a smaller amount of cayenne powder, or omitting completely. Also, I prefer a thicker soup, so I would also eliminate some of the water. 4 total cups of liquid is quite a bit. However, this is your judgment call.
The honey did help to quell some of the extreme spice, so if you make this, don't leave that out! We ate this with some hearty beer bread, which I'll be posting tomorrow!
Crockpot Roasted Cauliflower Soup with Curry & Honey
makes 4 servings
-1 head cauliflower
-3 tbsp olive oil
-1 tsp kosher salt
-1/2 tsp black pepper
-2 cups broth (chicken or vegetable)
-2 cups water
-1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
-1 yellow onion, chopped in chunks
-2 1/2 tsp curry
1. Cut the cauliflower into florets, toss with olive oil, salt, and pepper, and roast at 400F for 20 min, until the cauliflower is lightly brown and crispy.
2. Add chicken broth, water, and chopped onion to the crockpot. Season with cayenne pepper and curry powder.
3. Once the cauliflower is roasted, add it to the crockpot. Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours, or on high for 3-4 hours, until the cauliflower and onion are tender.
4. Use an immersion blender (or transfer to regular blender in batches) to blend the cauliflower and onion.
5. Serve with drizzled honey on top.