This recreation of Cosmic Brownies is even better than the Little Debbie snacks in my memories. Once again, homemade > store-bought! They are just as dense and sweet and fudgy, but without that "packaged and sitting in a box for a few months" taste, if you know what I mean. Storing them in the fridge ensured that they stayed together well for several days, no plastic packaging needed! The ganache on these reminded me of my favorite brownies, and I think I'm officially convinced that adding ganache to any brownie automatically makes it better.
If you were a Little Debbie Cosmic Brownie fan, you must make these and compare. If you are just simply a good brownie fan, you must make these and enjoy!
One Year Ago: Healthified Zucchini BreadTwo Years Ago: Cranberry Coleslaw
Fudgy Cosmic Brownies
from Fake Ginger
-1 cup granulated sugar
-2/3 cup brown sugar
-1 1/2 sticks butter, melted (3/4 cup)
-2 tbsp water
-2 large eggs
-2 tsp vanilla
-1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
-3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
-1/2 tsp baking powder
-1/4 tsp salt
for the ganache-
-1/2 cup heavy cream
-7 oz. bittersweet chocolate, chopped (or use chocolate chips)
-pinch of salt
-sprinkles, for decorating
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Line a 9 x 13-inch pan with aluminum foil and grease. Set aside.
2. Whisk together sugars, butter, and water in a large bowl. Stir in eggs and vanilla.
3. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir to combine. Use a spatula to spread the batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 18 minutes--do not over bake!
4. Remove from oven and allow to cool to room temperature. While brownies are cooling, make the ganache. Place the chocolate in a bowl. Heat the heavy cream in a small saucepan, just until simmering. Remove from heat and pour over the chocolate. Sprinkle with salt and allow to sit for 1-2 full minutes. Use a spatula to stir until smooth. Allow to cool slightly.
5. Once brownies are mostly cool, pour ganache over the brownies and spread evenly. Top with sprinkles. Refrigerate until set.