This recipe takes a little while to make, since you have to allow each flavor to freeze. But aside from that, it's very easy to put together and the perfect dessert for any summer gathering. I made mine in a pie plate, rather than a springform pan and garnished mine with lots of whipped cream and cherries (of course), but Kelsey's looked super cute with limes and cherries on top!
Frozen Cherry Limeade Pie
from Apple a Day
For the crust-
-1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs (12 crackers)
-1/4 c sugar
-6 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
For the filling-
-8 large egg yolks, at room temperature
-1/4 cup sugar
-1 can sweetened condensed milk
-2 tbsp lime zest (2 limes)
-3/4 cup lime juice
-1/4 cup maraschino cherry syrup (from the jar)
-1/4 cup chopped maraschino cherries
-green food coloring
For the garnishes-
-maraschino cherries and/or lime slices
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Combine graham cracker crumbs, sugar, and melted butter in a bowl. Press evenly into a greased springform or pie plate. Bake for 10 minutes and cool completely.
2. With an electric mixer, beat the egg yolks and sugar on high until thick (~5 minutes). Reduce mixer speed to medium and add the condensed milk.
3. Pour 1/3 of the filling mixture into a small bowl. Add cherry syrup and chopped cherries and mix to combine. Cover and refrigerate.
4. With the remaining filling, add lime juice, lime zest, and green food coloring. Pour half of the lime mixture over the crust. Cover and place in freezer. Cover the remaining lime mixture and refrigerate.
5. After 1 1/2 to 2 hours, remove pie from freezer and top with cherry mixture, spreading evenly. Cover and continue to freeze, 1 1/2 to 2 hours or over night. Remove the pie once again and top with remaining lime mixture. Cover and freeze.
6. One hour before serving, add the garnishes. Cut into wedges and serve immediately.
This post is linked to Eat at Home.