I opted to make half of the recipe and now I wish I'd gone for the whole thing! These are almost like a pie in bar form. The lemon zest in the crust really adds something special and they are so, so good cold from the fridge! If you choose to make the full batch, double the below recipe (do not double the egg or lemon measurements, I kept those the same).
Blueberry Crumb Bars
adapted from Smitten Kitchen
-1/2 cup white sugar
-1/2 tsp baking powder
-1 1/2 all-purpose flour
-1 stick cold unsalted butter
-1/8 tsp salt
-zest & juice of one lemon
-2 cups fresh blueberries
-1/4 cup white sugar
-2 tsp cornstarch
1. Preheat oven to 375F. Prepare an 8 x 8 inch pan.
2. In the bowl of a food processor, mix 1/2 cup sugar, flour, and baking powder. Add in salt and lemon zest. Add egg and butter and pulse until dough is a crumbly mixture (can do this all by hand with a pastry cutter or a fork if desired).
3. In a separate bowl, mix 1/4 cup sugar with lemon juice and cornstarch. Pour in blueberries and mix to coat.
4. Press half of the dough mixture into the prepared pan. Pour blueberries over the dough evenly. Top with remaining dough.
5. Bake at 375F for 35-40 minutes (until the top is slightly browned). Cool completely and store in the refrigerator until serving.