I'm continuing on my quest to find new and different ways to serve tilapia. Our stash in the freezer is finally running low though, so I'll be taking a break from this little white fish soon :) I liked this recipe because I already had all of the ingredients on hand. The flavor didn't wow me, but this was quick and easy and a nice accompaniment to a giant pan of roasted broccoli, zucchini, and onion drizzled with balsamic...aka the real star of dinner! This was one of the first times I baked tilapia in the oven as opposed to over the stovetop and it was nice to pop it in the oven and forget about it for a few minutes. It came out perfectly!
Basil Baked Tilapia
*the recipe below is for 4 servings. I made the full amount of everything but only used 2 tilapia filets.
-1/2 cup white wine
-1 tbsp butter
-1 cup fresh basil leaf
-4 thin fish filets, like tilapia
-1 lemon (juice of)
-1/2 tsp onion powder
-2 tbsp plain breadcrumbs
-paprika, salt, & pepper
1. Preheat oven to 450F.
2. Pour wine and butter into a glass measuring cup and microwave 1 minute, until butter begins to melt.
3. Spread basil leaves over the bottom of your baking dish, setting aside a few to place atop the fish. Place fish on the basil.
4. Add fresh lemon juice to the wine mixture and whisk to combine. Pour mixture over the fish. Season fish with salt & pepper.
5. Sprinkle onion powder and breadcrumbs evenly over the fish. Top with a dash of paprika and remaining basil.
6. Cover the pan with foil and bake for 12 minutes. Uncover fish and bake for 2-3 more minutes, until fish is opaque and flakes easily with a fork. Serve immediately.