I picked up a box of Bran Flakes from the grocery store this past weekend for no reason in particular except that they were cheap and I figured I could get creative with them. Obviously Raisin Bran Muffins aren't exactly creative, but I still have lots of cereal left to play around with!
I browsed tons of recipes online, many at Kelloggs.com, and finally combined/altered a few to come up with these muffins. I've only had a bite of one, but Ryan gave them his seal of approval (although he did comment that they are very hearty and dense!). They're relatively healthy though and I think they'd be really good toasted and with some butter or jam!
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 cups bran flakes
1 1/4 cups milk
1/4 cup applesauce (I only had sweetened which was okay because these muffins still don't come out very sweet)
1/2-1 cup raisins
1. Mix flours, baking powder, sugar, salt, and cinnamon in a bowl.
2. In a separate bowl, pour cereal and milk and allow to soften for a few minutes. Add egg & applesauce.
3. Add dry mixture to the milk mixture and stir until moistened. Add raisins.
4. Fill a greased muffin tin (I got exactly 12!)
5. Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes.
These came out perfectly after 15 minutes. I allowed them to cool and am storing them in the fridge because they're moist and I worry that they'll mold if they sit out for too long!