I kind of combined different recipes to come up with this one for baked blueberry french toast. We were quite pleased with the results and made it twice in two weeks! I'm sad blueberry season has passed because we're already craving this again.
1/2 cup flour
1 1/2 cups milk (I used skim)
1 tablespoon of sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon of salt
1 1/2 loaves of whole wheat bread (from the bakery, not sliced bread)
1/2 package cream cheese (I used 1/3 less fat)
1-1 1/2 cups blueberries
1. Cut the loaves of bread into about 1-inch pieces and place them in a 9 x 13 greased casserole dish.
2. Mix the flour, milk, sugar, vanilla, salt, and eggs in another bowl until well mixed. Pour over the bread pieces.
3. Cut the cream cheese (and you can do more or less depending on how much cream cheese you want!) into small blocks, like you see in the picture. Arrange these throughout the casserole, on top of bread. (You can also mix with a spoon to get some of the cream cheese under the bread, if desired).
4. Add the blueberries to the bread mixture.
5. Refrigerate overnight and bake for 20-25 minutes at 400 degrees the next day.
6. Cut into pieces and serve with syrup!
It tastes better than it looks, I promise!