|Chocolate Mint Cake|
Chocolate Mint Cake
significantly adapted from Bon Appetit
for the frosting-
8 oz bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
1/2 cup whipping cream
1 tbsp light corn syrup
1/2 tsp peppermint extract
for the cake
1 cup sifted all purpose flour
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup packed dark brown sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
3 large eggs
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 cup chopped Andes mints
1/2 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
1. To make the frosting, place the chocolate in a medium bowl. In a small saucepan, bring the cream and corn syrup to a simmer. Pour the cream mixture over the chocolate. Add extract and allow to stand for 1 minute before whisking until smooth. Allow filling to stand at room temperature while making cake.
2. To make the cake, preheat oven to 350F. Grease a 9-inch round cake pan and line with parchment paper. Grease and flour parchment and set aside.
3. Whisk flour, cocoa powder, salt, baking powder, and baking soda in a medium bowl. In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat butter until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in both sugars followed by the vanilla. Beat in eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in dry ingredients, alternating with the buttermilk (2 additions of each). Stir in Andes mints and chocolate chips.
4. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake cake for 50-60 minutes, until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Allow cake to cool in pan for 5 minutes before turning cake out onto cooling rack, peeling off parchment, and cooling completely.
5. Beat chocolate frosting with an electric mixer until fluffy (about 30 seconds). Spread frosting over cooled cake and decorate as desired. Cover cake and chill in fridge to set, but bring to room temperature before serving.