salads, savory cheesecakes, and bruschetta, I don't know that I've ever baked with them before. Now that I have, I think I'll be stocking up on pears more often!
The flavor they added to this bundt cake was mild, but I loved the texture of them. The original recipe from allrecipes.com called for pecans, but I had used mine up earlier that day and the cake was fine without. I made a few other changes to the original, cutting the sugar in half, adjusting the amounts of the spices, and adding some whole wheat pastry flour. The cake wasn't super sweet, so you may want to add an additional half cup of sugar if you want it on the sweeter side. Be careful not to overbake, I took mine out a few minutes late because I was vacuuming and didn't hear the timer go off (but at least our floors are clean..right?!).
If you find yourself with an abundance of pears, or want to try a new coffee cake, this one is perfect for this time of year!
One Year Ago: Pumpkin Butterscotch Cookies
Two Years Ago: Sweet Potato Shepherds Pie
Spiced Pear Bundt Cake
adapted from allrecipes.com
-4 cups peeled, cored, and chopped pears (I used 4 pears and didn't measure...next time I would maybe use a fifth)
-1 cup white sugar
-1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
-1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (could use only all-purpose flour)
-1 tsp salt
-1 1/2 tsp baking soda
-1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
-1 tsp ground cinnamon
-1/4 tsp ground cloves
-2/3 cup canola oil
1. Place pears and sugar in a large bowl, tossing to combine, and allow to stand for one hour (I was short on time and let them sit for 20 minutes or so).
2. Preheat oven to 325F and spray a 10-cup bundt pan with cooking spray.
3. Slightly beat the eggs and add them to the pear mixture along with the oil.
4. In a separate bowl, combine the flours, salt, baking soda, and spices. Add the pear mixture and mix until combined. Pour batter into the prepared pan.
5. Bake for 45-55 minutes, removing when cake is browned and an inserted toothpick comes out with only a few crumbs. Remove from oven and allow to cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes before removing from the pan.