I had you at the title of the post, didn't I? Who doesn't want a piece of something called hot fudge cake?! I served this last week at our community group that we host each week and not a single person resisted this dessert. That has NEVER happened before! I was rushed to serve it to everyone while it was still warm and gooey, which is why the pictures are kind of lackluster. Don't let that dissuade you though--this cake is everything you would expect from something titled hot fudge cake!
One rule, however. You absolutely must serve this cake with ice cream. The combination of the fudgy syrup atop the chocolate cake combined with the smooth vanilla ice cream cannot, should not, be missed!
Hot Fudge Cake
from Just Pure Lovely
-2 cups flour
-4 tsp baking powder
-1 tsp salt
-1 1/3 cups sugar
-6 tbsp baking cocoa
-1 cup milk
-2 tsp vanilla
-4 tbsp melted butter
-2 cups packed brown sugar
-1/2 cup cocoa
-3 cups boiling water
1. Combine flour, baking powder, salt, sugar, and 6 tbsp cocoa in a large mixing bowl.
2. In a separate bowl, combine milk, vanilla, and melted butter. Add to dry ingredients and beat until smooth.
3. Spread mixture in a greased 9 x 13 pan.
4. Mix brown sugar and remaining cocoa (1/2 cup) in a bowl. Sprinkle over the batter in the pan. Pour boiling water over the entire cake. Do not stir or mix. It should look like a soupy mess!
5. Bake at 350F for 50 minutes. The cake will make its own fudge sauce in the bottom. Cut and serve warm, scooping up the fudge sauce and topping with vanilla ice cream.