I love turkey burgers in all forms. They're good when they're prepared simply, but I love to soup them up in different ways too. This recipe was inspired by some meatballs my friend Ashley made at one of our monthly girl's dinners. I'm not sure what recipe she used, but the turkey meatballs included apple, cheddar, and dried cranberries. I adopted a similar theme and was pleased with the results, although I really wish I'd had time to make a cranberry sauce to top the burgers with. That would've put these over the top! These burgers were incredibly moist and juicy, I'm guessing from the addition of the apple. We topped these with more sliced apple, but next time I'll add cranberry sauce and a slice of sharp cheddar as well!
Apple Cheddar Turkey Burgers
*makes 3 turkey burgers
-1/2 lb ground turkey
-1/4 green apple, diced
-3 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
-3-4 green onions, chopped
-1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
-splash of Worchestershire sauce
-sprinkle of garlic powder
-1/3 cup whole wheat flour (approximate)
1. In a large bowl, mix turkey, apple, parsley, green onions, cheese, Worchestershire, and garlic powder.
2. Using hands, make sure all ingredients are well combined. Add flour a little at a time under the mixture is thick and dry enough to form patties, but still very moist.
3. Create 3 equal-sized patties with your hands.
4. Over medium heat, cook burgers on a grill pan, flipping after several minutes and allowing the other side to cook.
5. Remove burgers from heat, serve on buns with sliced apple and other condiments and garnishes.