As I've mentioned several times, we (me especially!) are big pancake lovers and particularly enjoy getting creative with our pancake recipes. These are another Ryan creation, although he used a recipe as a guideline, doubling it and adding orange zest to mimic that cranberry orange flavor we love. These are actually quite similar to these pancakes that I posted, with a few ingredient swaps. Like I said, we love our pancakes...and we loved these!
Cranberry Almond Pancakes with Orange Zest
adapted from Recipezaar
**makes 12-14 pancakes
-1 1/2 cups milk
-2 tbsp melted butter
-2 cups whole wheat flour
-4 tsp baking powder
-4 tbsp sugar
-2 tsp sugar (for cranberries)
-1 tsp salt
-1 cup frozen cranberries
-1/4 cup toasted slivered almonds, chopped
-zest from one orange
1. Beat milk, melted butter, and eggs together in a bowl.
2. Mix flour, baking powder, 2 tbsp sugar, and salt together in a separate bowl and add them to the wet ingredients mixing just enough to wet the flour.
3. Chop cranberries, place in microwave safe bowl, and sprinkle with the 2 tsp of sugar. Microwave on high and stir every 15 seconds until the cranberries start to bubble. Let cool and add to the pancake mixture.
4. Add chopped almonds and orange zest to the batter, stirring to combine. If the batter appears too thick or dense, dilute with water, stirring after each small addition of water until desired density is reached.
5. Prepare and heat griddle. Pour 1/4 cup of batter at a time onto the griddle and cook until the surface bubbles and the edges get crusty. Flip and allow the other side to cook.