|Coconut Cashew Dulce de Leche Bars|
Transforming the custard flavor into a bar cookie wasn’t all that difficult. I made a buttery oatmeal crust and reserved half of it for the topping. Between the two layers I stuffed the maple dulce de leche, chopped, salted cashews, and some toasted coconut for good measure. The finished result exceeded my expectations and made me think Kopp’s should start adding coconut to their caramel cashew custard!
Coconut Cashew Dulce de Leche Bars
a Sweets Life creation
for the crust and topping-
-2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
-1 tsp baking soda
-1 tsp salt
-1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
-2 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature
-1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
-2 large eggs
-2 tsp pure vanilla extract
-3 cups old-fashioned oats
for the filling
-1 cup toasted coconut
-1 cup chopped, salted cashews
-12 oz dulce de leche
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Line a 9 x 13 inch pan with foil and spray with cooking spray. Set aside.
2. Whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Set aside.
3. In a stand mixer, beat butter until soft and creamy. Add the brown sugar and beat for 2 minutes. Add the eggs one at a time, beating after each addition. Beat in the vanilla and then, with the mixer on low, add the flour mixture, stirring just until combined. Stir in the oats, mixing to combine.
4. Set aside 2 cups of the crust mixture and press the rest into the prepared pan, covering the entire bottom of the pan. Spread the dulce de leche over the crust before sprinkling with the coconut and cashews. Top with the remaining crust mixture, dropping pieces of it and covering as best as possible (don't worry about covering the whole thing).
5. Bake for 25-30 minutes, until the topping is golden brown. Allow to cool completely before cutting into pieces. Store in fridge to keep dulce de leche firm.