this spinach dip!), I'm never one to turn down a warm bowl of the gooey stuff. When I saw this recipe for Spinach Artichoke Pizza that was essentially the dip in meal form, I couldn't wait to try it!
This pizza met, even surpassed, all expectations. Though it tastes as sinful as the appetizer, you'll see from the ingredients that it isn't nearly as bad as you might expect...and there's built in portion control when it's already spread on a pizza! I halved the below recipe to make 2 flatbread pizzas and we finished every bite! I loved the punch from the red pepper flakes--I think this will be a necessary component whenever I end up making the dip.
Next time you're craving more of a bar food/appetizer dinner, give this a try! Craving other appetizer-type meals? I suggest Baked Southwestern Egg Rolls, Inside Out Buffalo Hot Wings, or Southwestern Potato Nachos...you can't go wrong with any of them!
One Year Ago: Spring Greens Dinner Salad
Spinach Artichoke Pizza
adapted from The Way the Cookie Crumbles
-2 tbsp butter
-2 cloves garlic, minced
-1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
-2 tbsp flour
-1 1/2 cups skim milk
-1/4 tsp salt
-1/4 cup parmesan
-7 ounces fresh spinach, washed and roughly chopped
-1 lb pizza dough or 4 flatbread pieces
-1 1/2 cups shredded Italian blend cheese
-1 (14 oz) can artichokes, drained, rinsed, dried, and quartered
1. Place a pizza stone in the oven and preheat the oven to 525F. In a medium-sized saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Once melted, add garlic and red pepper flakes, stirring constantly for 30-60 seconds. Add flour and stir for 1-2 minutes.
2. Gradually whisk in the milk before bringing the mixture to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low and continue to cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in salt and parmesan.
3. While sauce is cooking, add spinach to a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Cover and cook until wilted. Add wilted spinach to sauce, stirring to combine.
4. Roll out pizza dough (1 lb forms two pizzas) or lay out flatbread pieces. Divide sauce evenly among bases and top each with Italian cheese and artichokes.
5. Place on pizza stone and bake for 6-10 minutes, until cheese is melted and crust is lightly browned. Remove stone from oven and cool pizza slightly before slicing and serving.
This post is linked to Eat at Home.