Ashley has posted a quiche with pesto. I stuck with her crust recipe, but changed up the vegetables and cheese in the filling. I loved this combination--kalamata olives, artichokes, red pepper, and baby bellas are some of my favorites!!--but you could certainly use any variety of vegetables. The cheese could also be switched up; feta would be good with this combination!
I made these one Sunday afternoon to reheat for dinner on Monday night but when photographing it I couldn't help but try a small slice. Suddenly I found myself sticking my fork in the quiche dish, picking away at the rest of it. Needless to say, I was very much looking forward to Monday night's dinner!
One Year Ago: Chickpea Spinach Stew
Pesto Quiche with Oatmeal Crust
adapted from (never home)maker
for the crust-
-3/4 cup old-fashioned oats
-1/2 cup whole wheat flour
-3 tbsp butter
-3 tbsp milk
-pinch of salt
for the filling-
-3 egg whites
-2 tbsp milk
-2 tbsp pesto
-freshly ground pepper
-1/2 large onion, diced
-1/2 red pepper, diced
-1/3 cup artichokes in water, chopped
-1/3 cup baby bella mushrooms, sliced
-1/4 cup kalamata olives, chopped
-2/3 cup gruyere cheese, shredded
1. Preheat oven to 400F. Spray a 9-inch pie dish with cooking spray.
2. Pulse oats, flour, and salt in a food processor to mix. Add butter (cut into small pieces) and pulse until crumbly. Add milk and pulse until it forms a ball.
3. Take dough and place between two sheets of wax paper. Roll with a rolling pin into a circle, approximately 10 inches in diameter. Press into prepared pie dish. Bake for 8-10 minutes.
4. While crust is cooking, heat a little bit of olive oil in a pan. Add onions, peppers, and mushrooms and saute until soft and lightly browned (8-10 minutes).
5. In a bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, and pesto. Add freshly ground pepper.
6. Remove crust from oven and reduce temperature to 350F. Top crust with shredded cheese. Layer vegetables over cheese and pour egg mixture on top. Bake quiche for 35 minutes, until lightly browned and set.
This post is linked to Eat at Home.