ice cream, but lately I've enjoyed a cup of it on occasion. I still load it up with sugar and cream, and I don't have any intention of making it a daily occurrence (the caffeine affects me WAY too much!), but I'm starting to appreciate the flavor more than I used to.
Beer, on the other hand? Still not ever planning to acquire that taste!
Back to the coffee...these mocha chocolate chip cookies are given their flavor thanks to instant coffee. I used instant Starbucks Via packets (the french vanilla flavor!), but you could use any kind of instant coffee you have on hand. These cookies got mixed reactions; a few people didn't care for them, but others absolutely loved them. The texture is thin and crispy, with a little bit of chew, so puffy-cookie fans might not enjoy. Be aware that the coffee flavor intensifies as the days go on!
Back tomorrow with a healthier recipe! :)
One Year Ago: Black Bean Burgers with Mango Salsa
Mocha Chocolate Chip Cookies
adapted from Lovin' From the Oven
-2 cups flour
-3 tbsp instant coffee powder (this is 2 packets of Starbucks Via)
-1 tsp baking soda
-1 tsp salt
-2 sticks butter, at room temperature
-1/2 cup granulated sugar
-1 cup brown sugar
-2 large eggs
-1 tsp vanilla extract
-2 cups chocolate chips (I used a mixture of mini and regular sized)
1. In a small bowl, whisk together flour, coffee, and baking soda. Set aside.
2. Beat butter in a mixing bowl until light. Add sugars and beat until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition. Beat in vanilla extract until blended.
3. With mixer speed on low, add flour mixture, blending just until incorporated. Fold in chocolate chips.
4. Cover dough with plastic wrap and chill in fridge for at least 1 hour.
5. Preheat to 350F. Drop tablespoons of dough onto baking sheets, with at least 2 inches between each cookie (cookies will spread!). Bake for 9-11 minutes. Cool sheets for 5 minutes before transferring cookies to wire rack to cool completely.